Zena

Zena

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Dad's Birthday
I remember you were always
Hard to buy for.
When we were little
You and mom said,
All you wanted was "Good kids."
Well, I knew there was a whole lot more to wish for
So I tried socks,
100% cotton shirts,
Books on subjects of interest,
Candy for your sweet tooth
Donations to charity for your heart
And masses said for your soul.
But the best gift
I think was the
Brown corduroy bathrobe I made for you.
Mom said she had to mend it so many times
She just about remade it.
But you wouldn't give it up.
It was nicely worn in
And comfortable.
I was always secretly proud
When I'd see you in that bathrobe.
Even if it was falling apart.
It made me feel connected to you
Like the sash tying it all together
Or a warm hug
To shy to embrace.
I like to think you kept wearing it too
For the love that was in it
And not just because
It was a comfortable brown corduroy bathrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment